How do I update my Ultimento to the latest release?
Ultimento evolves all the time and each new release brings exciting new features and improvements. Since all updates are FREE for life it’s normal to want to update your copy to the latest release! Here’s the ins and outs of the update process.
Then basically all you have to do to update your Ultimento installation to the latest release is to upload the new files on your server, overwriting the files that are there while being very careful to not overwrite any changes you may have made to your installation (customization etc).
Step by step instructions:
It goes without saying… always backup everything before doing anything new!
Temporarily disable Magento cache
To avoid any possible issues with the update we recommend disabling Magento cache. You can re-enabling it once the update is complete.
- Log in to your Magento admin
- Access System > Cache Management
- Click on “Select All” and in the “Actions” drop down select “Disable”
- Click on “Submit” and once the page reloads log out of the admin
Upload the latest files
If you haven’t changed anything to your copy of Ultimento
If you haven’t made any customization to your copy of Ultimento then that part is super simple: just upload the files (overwriting your copy).
If you’ve customized Ultimento “the right way”
If you’re running Ultimento 1.5 or higher and have followed the instructions for customizing the files – then you’re all good! Just upload the files using any FTP tool (overwriting your copy). Your custom changes won’t be overwritten.
All other cases
Otherwise if you have customized any of Ultimento’s core files (i.e. any file that’s not in the “ultimentocustom” folders) you will need to be very careful when uploading the new files so that you include the changes that we’ve made, while at the same time not lose the changes that you have made.
Use a file and folder comparison software. If that sounds frightening, don’t worry. There’s plenty of software and web apps that do that out there. Many of them are free and most of them offer a free trial. Personally, I use Beyond Compare and I find it very easy to use. Go ahead and download it for free.
- Using your file and folder comparison software or app, compare your copy of Ultimento with the new release. So you would compare the root folder of your Magento installation with the “ultimento” folder that’s inside the folder “ultimento-1.x.x”.
- Run the comparison and go through all the files – updating your installation with the new changes that were made to Ultimento and the new files that were added while preserving your own changes.
Log back in the admin
That’s a very important step as this is when all the automatic update commands that need to run on your installation in order to update the core Ultimento product are performed. Just to avoid any possible complications, go to the Ultimento settings page, select the proper Store View Scope and just click on “Save Config” (you don’t have to change any of the values).
Now it’s time to test and play around with the new features. Also remember to re-enable your Magento cache to speed up your installation.