Why Should I Launch My Website on Magento?
February 23, 2012
Coming to the decision to launch a new website (or change the website you’ve already got) is hard. Deciding how to build that website is even harder.
What Should I Build My Website With?
There are countless options for building a website. You can code one yourself from scratch using HTML, but you’d better be really good with HTML and stay on top of all the new e-commerce trends. You can pay consultants to build one with everything you want, but its expensive and you may find yourself calling them every time you want to make a change. We tend to think the ideal solution is to build your site on a platform, and we feel so strongly about this that we founded an entire company on that idea.
When you use a web platform you’re part of a community of developers and sellers and e-commerce tacticians that are all focused on making the best websites they can. They’re constantly fixing bugs, adding new cutting edge features, and collaborating to figure out what the customer wants. Outside developers also contribute by building apps and extensions that can tie into the platform to extend its functionality and abilities. This collective effort yields websites that are both fresh with new ideas and features, but still highly stable.
What Web Platform Should I Choose?
- Magento is the largest web platform with over 110,000 customers.
- Magento Community is free to all, but you can also pay for Magento Enterprise if you want support or Magento Enterprise Premium if you want them to host your site as well.
- Magento is highly dynamic because its MVC architecture allows for easy customization.
- Magento has one of the most popular shopping carts supporting all variety of promotional and shipping options.
- Out of the box, Magento is integrated with various payment gateways, Google, PayPal, and all the most important web-based services.
- Lastly, and possibly most important, Magento is open source. Anyone can see the code and edit it however they like. This has caused it to become extremely popular with developers and its by far the most popular platform out there to work on.
All of these reasons make an extremely strong case for Magento, but we haven’t even mentioned that they were bought by eBay in 2011! This was huge because it showed the popularity of the platform and gave it the kind of financial backing that will propel Magento going forward. eBay has promised to keep Magento open source and is even tying their development into the new X.commerce communications platform making it even easier to link Magento to other systems and data.
Clearly, Magento is strong candidate for creating e-commerce sites and a solution you should seriously consider when it comes to building the new (or refreshed) website of your dreams, and if you want your dreams to have a bit more color then don’t forget to add Ultimento to the mix!